Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Foodstuffs

For the first time in two years, I do not have a kitchen. In response, like a starving person, or perhaps just a procrastinating college student, I have taken to obsessively reading recipes/viewing food photography online. Thankfully, my ex-housemate Joe has a kitchen (ironic for a man who does not EVER cook!) and has invited me to use it as I wish. We've settled on this Thursday for the first what will hopefully become a series of dinners. But what to make!?!?!?

Photo c/o thelittleteochew.com
Put simply, I want something light and I want something fall. The cafeteria, where I now eat all of my meals, is pretty good at serving hefty meat-and-potatoes dishes every night, a gesture I generally appreciate since they seem to screw up anything more complicated than a slab of beef with a side of mash. Joe would be elated for me to serve some rendition of the latter, in fact, he'll probably request something "meaty" and specifically "non-ethnic."

Photo c/o greedygourmet.com
Luckily for him, I'm not going the 'ethnic' route. I don't even want to think about buying spices that are unheard of in the Belmont area of the Bronx, many of which used to fill my cupboard. Instead, I've decided on two recipes that caught my attention: mushroom risotto and butternut squash soup. My internship boss ordered butternut squash soup for lunch last week and I was salivating: so smooth! So sweet! So fall! Regarding Joe's impending "meat" concern, I'll sear some steak and throw it on top of the risotto just for him.

Photo c/o dessertsforbreakfast.com
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get to the fig, mascarpone, and pistachio tart this week. I'm hoping to make it for my family when I have more time and ingredients at my disposal. When I told my mom of this plan, she responded, "Who will eat it?" Well, for one, me. Any other takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment